Monday, July 5, 2010

Brownies With Peanut Butter Frosting


Made these this morning thinking of maybe heading out to the park for a picnic.  Neither of us seems in a picnic mood however, so it doesn't look like we'll take them to the park today.  I have made a pact with myself not to run to the store in the middle of the week anymore for extra trips. If I don't have what I want, I go without, eat something else, or wait until shopping day.  I discovered we have plenty in the house to keep body and soul together for a week without running to the store! I think we're saving $100/wk. doing that.  So I had to come up with a frosting I had all the ingredients for on hand at the spur of the moment and not something I had to run to the store for.  I had peanut butter, I had coconut oil, and I had Splenda, so that's what I used for the frosting. Turned out great.  However, I may experiment with less coconut oil next time.  But coconut oil seems to have the affect of lowering my bg, so it's ok to get a lot in my book.

Here's the recipe.  Brownies are just halved and low carbed from a Betty Crocker recipe I have had for years.

This recipe has a chocolate glaze with it.  But I'll post the peanut butter frosting one after also.


My Low Carb Brownies with Chocolate Glaze

Serving Size  : 9  

  2             oz.  unsweetened chocolate
 1/3           cup  coconut oil
  1             cup  sweeteners -- (1/2 cup erythritol, 6 packets Stevia *Sweetleaf, and 2 TBS Xylitol)--this time I used 1/2 cup Splenda, 6 packets of Truvia, and 2 TBS. of xylitol. Use what you like.  Nutrition info is excluding sweeteners so make sure to add that to your carb count.
  2             eggs
  1/2          tsp.  vanilla
  1/2          cup  almond meal
  1/4          cup  flax meal, Golden
  1/2          tsp.  baking powder
  1/4          tsp.  salt

                        Chocolate Glaze
  1             ounce  unsweetened chocolate
  1 1/2       tablespoons  butter
  1/2          cup  erythritol
  1/2          teaspoon  vanilla
                        water

Melt chocolate and oil over low heat. Remove from heat and add sweeteners, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix well, and add the remaining ingredients.  Stir well and pour into 8 x 8" pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake 30 min. at 350 degrees F.


For Glaze: Melt the chocolate and butter over low heat.  Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup erythritol, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Mix in about 1 teaspoon at a time of water until glaze is of proper consistency.  Spread quickly over brownies and let cool.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (nutrition info excludes sweeteners.  Whatever sweeteners you use add the carbs into it): 201 Calories; 19g Fat (77.9% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;

Peanut Butter Frosting

Serving Size  : 9  

1/2           cup  Sugar Free Peanut Butter
1/4           cup  coconut oil
1/2           cup  Splenda -- (or "powdered sugar" mix)

Mix all ingredients, mix with electric mixer until well blended and smooth.  Enough to fit brownies or cake in 8" by 8" pan.

Frost brownies or cake.  It will be rather soft at first (good for bundt cake).  Put in freezer for 10 min. to harden if you prefer.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 147 Calories; 13g Fat (79.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...