Wednesday, June 8, 2011

French Vanilla Low Carb Ice Cream

It's been HOT here lately.  Yesterday it was 103.  Heat like that makes me think of one thing--ICE-CREAM!!  Yes, I was screaming for ice cream.  Unfortunately I didn't have my ice cream freezer ready.  But today I did.

So I made ice cream.  I really did not want all the calories of heavy whipping cream right now, and I also wanted something lower in carbs than I get with heavy whipping cream.  But I wanted it smooth and creamy.

This was an experiment, and one that turned out pretty good actually although it is not going to be scoopable after sitting in the freezer all day.  It was great soft serve right out of the ice cream maker, and it was wonderful a couple hours later also.  But I can tell now when I checked it 6 hrs. later, that it is not going to be scoopable and will have to sit out a bit before eating it. I think tonight it will be part of a root beer float.  Another thing that screams at me on hot days!!  Reminds me of my childhood I guess, and begging my dad to stop at the A&W Root Beer Stand.  What a treat!!

So here's the video I did.  It was rather spur of the moment, as most of my videos tend to be.




  NOTES : Only 105 calories and 2 net carbs per serving!!!
                   
* Exported from MasterCook *

            Low Carb French Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 8  
Categories    : Dessert

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2          cups  almond milk, unsweetened -- Vanilla flavored is best
  1          cup  thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
  3/4       cup  kefir
  12        packets  truvia -- or equivilant of 1/2 cup sugar
  1/4       cup  Torani vanilla flavored SF syrup
  1/4       cup  splenda -- granulated or equivilant in drops
  4          egg yolks
  1          teaspoon  vanilla extract

In a sauce pan, bring the almond milk and the coconut milk along with all the sweeteners, just to a low boil.  Don't let it boil hard, but when it just starts to bubble take it off the heat.

Temper the egg yolks by slowly drizzling about 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the yolks while whisking vigorously.  Then pour the mixture slowly into the rest of the milk while again whisking. At this point add the vanilla extract.

Stir constantly over a medium low heat until the mixture begins to thicken.  For me it took around 15 to 16 minutes.  When you are done it should coat the spoon.

Remove from the heat and set in a bowl of ice for about 10 minutes stirring all the while.  When it is cool, stir in the kefir and chill another 5 to 10 minutes in the bowl of ice or put in the refrigerator until completely chilled.

Process in your ice cream maker according to directions.


Yield:
  "4 cups"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (1/2 cup each): 105 Calories; 9g Fat (67.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 108mg Cholesterol; 60mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...