Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Stuffed Kielbasa

It's a cold rainy day here in Minnesota's June.  Doesn't feel much like summer yet, though we did reach 103 one day.   I felt like some good comfort food for supper.  Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes comfort food.  I guess for me, this hit the spot tonight and on a scale of 1 to 10 my husband and son both said it was tops.  Theirs had garlic mashed potatoes and mine had garlic mashed cauliflower.  It was wonderful.  The recipe was from allrecipes.com, which is one of my favorite recipe sites.  I find a lot of recipes there that I can easily low carb.

In mine the changes were the mashed cauliflower, which was made from a lb. of frozen cauliflower microwaved for 10 minutes, pureed in my food processor, then a glob of butter (about 1 TBS.) and a glob of sour cream (about 2 TBS), salt to taste, a gob of garlic powder (to your taste--mine is heavy on the garlic), and mixed in well.  I used about 1/2 cup of that probably... didn't measure.

I also took one viewers advice and simmered the saurkraut in 3 TBS. of Brown Sugar Twin and a little water to keep it from burning.  I started that first and let it simmer all the while preparing the rest.

I used sharp cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella, but you could use any cheese you like.  In my opinion the sharp cheddar was wonderful.  I'm thinking next time of trying smoked cheddar.

Make sure to look for a polish kielbasa sausage that is gluten free and low carb.  Read the label.  Look in your health food store.  Unfortunately, I didn't until after I ate it!  It had corn syrup and monosodium glutamate and 4 oz. had 8 g. carbs.  So that was my blunder!  I usually am pretty good at checking labels.  This time I wasn't, for some reason, on the ball.  But I like this recipe so much that I'm going to have to find some that is healthier for me and lower carb.  But so far, hey... no side affects.  I'm still alive.  I'm feeling good.  :)

If anyone finds a good kielbasa, please let me know!

I've been away on vacation for a few days and I thought I'd throw in a video of our trip.  It was beautiful!!  Ashland, WI and Copper Falls State Park NE of Mellen, WI.  If you live near and have a chance to go there, do so!  It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.  Of course that isn't saying much.  I haven't been to many places in the world.  Haven't had a chance to do a lot of travelling.  But with something like this so close to home, who needs to go far?




2 comments:

  1. I like Colossimo's Sausages. I don't know that I have ever tried the Polish Sausage, but they have several that should work fine, with little if any sweeteners and fillers. http://www.colosimosausage.com/Home/tabid/1189/language/en-US/Default.aspx

    Yours looks really tasty and spells comfort to me too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...