Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gingerbread Men

This was an experiment today.  After spending my morning helping 3 and 2 yr. olds decorate paper gingerbread men, I decided to try my hand at making my own gingerbread men. I didn't make very much because I was not sure if they would turn out or not.  But to my delight they did!  So next time I will most likely double the recipe.  My pictures turned out pretty crummy for some reason, but the gingerbread men turned out tasting just like I wanted them to.  So I apologize for my poor quality pictures.  My lighting in here is so bad.  I'm going to have to find a way to compensate for that.




 My little guy in the picture is decorated with some chunks from Lindt 85% chocolate and food coloring with a toothpick for the mittens and boots.  I didn't have anything else on hand I could think of to use, and didn't have time to go to the store and see what I could come up with for a cuter idea, but this will do for now.  Maybe next time I'll find something more creative.  You will probably be more creative than me. 





 I have large gingerbread man cookie cutters so I was only able to make 5 out of this recipe and the left over dough I flattened into a circle.

They came out tasting crunchy and very gingerbready... I think I just made a new word.  I frosted them with a cinnamon frosting which was really good.  I spent my afternoon trying to put together a video of this to put up but after making a bazillion mistakes, I gave up.  Maybe eventually I'll get the video.  For some reason I could not get the sound and video to match and my frustration level is about had it.  So for now, here's the recipe:


GINGERBREAD MEN                      

18 packets  Truvia (or sweetener equal to 3/4 cup sugar)
1/4 cup  coconut oil -- melted, or butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon  blackstrap molasses
1 cup  almond flour, Honeyville
1/2 teaspoon  baking powder
1/2 teaspoon  cloves
1/2 teaspoon  ginger
1/4 teaspoon  nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon  cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon  baking soda
1/4 teaspoon  salt

Combine sweeteners, oil, molasses and egg in mixing bowl.  Beat until smooth and creamy.

Add all remaining ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon and form into a ball.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.

Spray a large piece of parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.  Place dough on parchment paper and spray a piece of plastic wrap to cover it.  Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on top of the plastic wrap to about 1/4-inch thick.  Cut with gingerbread men cutters or other cookie cutters.  Place on a cookie sheet lined with either parchment paper or a silicone pad.  Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes or until done.

Let cool and frost or decorate.  Nutrition info is for the entire recipe.  Carbs for each serving will depend on the size and how many you cut out.  Good with cinnamon frosting.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Entire recipe: 1196 Calories; 115g Fat (81.5% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;

                   
CINNAMON FROSTING

3 ounces  cream cheese -- softened
3 tablespoons  unsalted butter -- softened
1/3 cup  "Powdered Sugar"**
1 teaspoon  cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon  vanilla extract
1 tablespoon  heavy cream

Mix cream cheese and butter together in a small mixing bowl.  Add "powdered sugar", cinnamon, and vanilla.  Pulse with electric mixer and then beat until creamy.  Drizzle in enough cream to bring to a good spreading consistency.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12 Servings: Per serving: 60 Calories; 6g Fat (80.1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
**Powdered sugar substitute is made from mixing 1 cup Splenda and 1/2 cup xylitol in the blender on lowest speed at 10 second intervals, then scraping and shaking and blending again until it is the consistency of powdered sugar. Keep in a jar or ziploc bag and store ready to use in recipes.



5 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I love gingerbread men, maybe because it brings back childhood memories. Thanks for this recipe, I've gotta try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them! Thanks Rettakat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm-mm good, couldn't wait for frosting, ate them right out of oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them! :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. EEK! I just realized how awful these pictures are! LOL! I need to make these and really decorate them and get a decent pic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...