Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cinnamon Cranberry Coconut Crunch Cereal

I don't eat cold cereal that often, but now and then I like it.  I actually like it more for a snack or a light supper than I do for breakfast.  I did not figure out all the nutrition information for this particular mix here, because I just threw it together without measuring.  The cereal flakes come from my "Easy Cracker/Cereal" mix.  I used 3 servings of that, which is 2 TBS each with a tsp of cinnamon and about 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of Vanilla Torani Sugar Free Syrup in place of water.  Watch it in the microwave because it can burn quickly.  Microwave it for 50 to 60 seconds or until done all the way through.  When it cools it should be crispy.  After it cools break it up into "flakes".

I used dried cranberries that I dried myself in my oven since you cannot find dried cranberries at the store here that are sugar-free.  You can find a good recipe for them here. They can be used in so many ways that it's nice to buy up cranberries when you can get them and stick in your freezer and dry some to keep on hand for muffins, breads, cookies, or cereal, etc.  Sad that you can only get cranberries once a year but when I can get them I get several bags to freeze.  It's really not hard to do your own.  You control what goes into it then.

I also used organic coconut chips, available in your local health food store most likely or online.  I never tried them before but they looked interesting and a good addition to this mix.  If you can't find them use unsweetened shredded coconut instead.

Last but not least I chopped some walnuts to complete the mix.  All very healthy ingredients, full of omega 3's, fiber, vitamins, and filling as well, unlike most dry cereals that you have to have about 3 bowl-fulls to feel like you had anything substantial!  This is one reason I never ate cold cereal for breakfast.  The cereal flakes have zero net carbs because they are high enough in fiber to cancel out the carbs.  You can use So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk in place of milk, and sprinkle a couple packets of Truvia over all.

Happy eating! :)

6 comments:

  1. I just learned a super easy way to dehydrate cranberries, buy making them into leather first using a cooked cranberry sauce, then cutting the dried leather up into a small dice. Really, really easy, and a smaller bite of cranberry appealed more to my guys. This recipe sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's pretty much what I did with these Lisa. Not difficult at all! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been missing cereal eating low-carb. I saw the recipe for chocolate cereal in the Low Carbing Among Friends that I am going to try, so I will have to add this one to my collection as well for a non-chocolate option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this, this morning. I had previously prepared dried cranberries in my dehydrator so was ready to go. I used the "fruit-leather" insert on my dehydrator, as I had cooked the cranberries to pop, then added erythritol/liquid splenda, so there was some liquid. Once dried (overnight), I crinkled them up for use, freezing a bag for later. You are right about the dough quickly burning, but caught it in time. I used an apple pie spice blend that I had on hand to spice up the dough. Once the flax/almond mixture cooled, I crumpled it up, then added the cranberries, coconut and walnuts, then some unsweetened almond milk. Excellent! Thank you! Likewise, hit the spot and I was able to stay within my "Bernstein" boundaries. Will make this again and incorporate into my plan. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @moonwinks14,
    That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...