Friday, February 17, 2012

Orange Chicken and Broccoli


This is what we had last night.  It was a very simple dish.  I haven't been feeling too well since picking up a cold or flu virus this week. I've been thinking a lot about different orange dishes.  I've been dreaming about orange bread and orange cake, but then decided to do an orange chicken dish.  This turned out really good.  In fact my hubby informed me he wants this at least once a week now.

I guess the whole orange thing was because of a UTI I had for a couple weeks, and found out that soda pop was a big no no when you're trying to get over one.  I happened to have just bought a 12 pack of Diet Rite Pure Zero Tangerine soda.  I don't normally even drink soda. It's a very occasional thing for me to ever get some.  But since I really should not drink it, I was brainstorming how I could use it.  This was one way I used it.  But I still want to try an orange bread or cake or something!  That may be in the future.



ORANGE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
15 ounces  Diet Rite Pure Zero Tangerine Soda
1 teaspoon  garlic powder
1 teaspoon  onion powder
1/2 teaspoon  salt -- (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon  pepper

                        Orange Sauce
Liquid from crockpot -- (all the soda and broth remaining when you remove the chicken)
2 1/2 tablespoons  soy sauce
1/4 cup  Brown Sugar Twin
liquid sucralose -- to equal 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon  apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon  grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon  ginger
1 teaspoon  minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon  red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons  cornstarch (you can use small amount of xanthan gum for less carbs, if you like.  I happen to find the sliminess disgusting, and it takes away flavor.  I prefer the 4 g added carbs per serving.  I did not experiment with xanthan gum so I don't know what amount would work.  Start out very small, 1/8 tsp. and go from there.) 
                            
14 ounces  frozen broccoli flowerets -- steamed lightly, about 7 minutes.

Place chicken breasts in crockpot.  Sprinkle all with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour soda over all. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours.

Remove chicken from crockpot and cut into strips or chunks.  Pour all liquid into medium saucepan and place chicken back into crockpot to keep warm.  

In saucepan with liquid, add soy sauce, Brown Sugar Twin, liquid sucralose, apple cider vinegar, orang peel, ginger, and minced garlic.  Bring to a boil. 

Mix cornstarch into 1/4 cup cold water and pour into hot liquid while whisking.  Stir and simmer until mixture is thickened.  (If using xanthan gum you'll need to sprinkle it in gradually and whisk vigorously.  If you end up with lumps, just place in a bullet blender and blend and add back to pan.)

Mix steamed broccoli and chicken pieces together and pour sauce over all and toss together.  Serve with cauli-rice if desired.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

4 Servings/Per Serving: 188 Calories; 2g Fat (8.8% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber/9 g net carbs


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I think next time I may add some slivered almonds to this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...