Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chicken and "Rice" Casserole

I made this last week.  I intended to blog about it then, but didn't have time to, so I finally got it entered into my MasterCook software and am able to share it.  I just love casseroles.  They're quick and easy to prepare, most of the time, and you have your whole meal altogether in one dish.  Cleanup is much easier as well, especially if you've prepared some things ahead of time.  I wanted some more chicken stock, so earlier in the week I cooked a whole chicken, so the meat was already for me in the frig and I just needed a way to use it.  This was sort of a "clean out your kitchen" before shopping day casserole that I threw together and it turned out really good.  I had some low carb bread crumbs in the freezer I wanted to use up too, so that made a great topping for this.  If you don't have any bread crumbs handy, sometimes I just sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of a casserole and bake it that way.
I did not add the nutrition info for the bread crumbs because it will be different for you depending on what kind of bread you use, so just add that to it.  To tell you the truth, I don't know what kind of bread I used for my crumbs and so I guess I don't know either!  But I usually don't have more than 2 to 3 g. net carbs to any bread I make so it's not very much.


                 



CHICKEN AND "RICE CASSEROLE"

3 pounds  whole chicken -- roasted, de-boned, and cut up
1 pound  cauliflower -- shredded into "rice"
14 1/2 ounces  French-style green beans -- (drained)
8 ounces  fresh mushrooms -- chopped
1 tablespoon  minced garlic
1/2 cup  celery -- chopped (optional--trace of carbs per serving)
1/2 cup  onion -- chopped (optional--1 g carb per serving)
 Salt and pepper -- to taste
15 ounces  Gia Russa Alfredo Sauce -- (1 jar)
                Topping
1/4 cup  butter
1 cup  low carb bread crumbs -- (carb count not included--will depend on the bread you use)
1/2 cup  Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon  onion powder
1 teaspoon  garlic powder
1 teaspoon  Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 375 F.  In 9 x 13-inch baking pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, add chicken, cauliflower rice, green beans, mushrooms, garlic, celery (if using), onion (if using), salt and pepper, and mix together.  Add alfredo sauce and stir in.

Topping:  In large frying pan, melt butter.  Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.  Stir and cook over medium high heat just until lightly toasted.  Spread out on top of casserole.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly browned.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8 Servings/Per Serving: 540 Calories; 42g Fat (70.0% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber

2 comments:

  1. How exciting...a low carb casserole!
    Thank you, it sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! :) Thanks for stopping by Debby.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...