Friday, May 18, 2012

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE, LC, GF


It's late, and I'm about ready to go to bed, but I wanted to post this recipe first.  This was my dessert tonight.  In fact it was most of my meal tonight.  I like that I can do that when I'm low carbing because unlike desserts in the non-lowcarbing world, low carb desserts are full of nutrition, protein, fiber, and other good stuff.  I wasn't hungry for a big meal tonight.  This gave me what I wanted.  I think it will also be breakfast in the morning.

This is a spin-off of my 2 minute coconut bread recipe, which became a donut bun recipe, which now became a shortcake recipe.  The creamy filling is kefir cheese and coconut cream, both very good for you. The topping has Marzetti sugar free strawberry glaze in it, but if you can't find it, you can simply chop up the strawberries and add a little sweetener to put on top.


STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE, LC, GF            

                        Shortcake
1 teaspoon  coconut oil
1 large  egg
2 tablespoons  hot water
Liquid sucralose -- to equal 1/4 cup
1 teaspoon  vanilla
2 tablespoons  Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon  coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon  baking powder
Dash  salt
                        Cream Filling
1/4 cup  kefir cheese, plain -- (or yogurt cheese, or cream cheese)
1/4 cup  Thai Kitchen coconut milk -- (The cream part without the liquid)
Liquid sucralose -- to equal 2 tbsp
1 teaspoon  vanilla
                        Strawberry Topping
1/2 cup  fresh strawberries -- chopped
3 tablespoons  Marzetti Sugar Free Glaze for Strawberries
1 packet  Truvia

Shortcake:  In small microwaveable bowl, add coconut oil and microwave on hi for 25 seconds.  Add egg, hot water, liquid sucralose, and vanilla.  Stir with wire whisk until blended.  Add Parmesan cheese, coconut oil, baking powder, and salt.  Stir together until well blended and smooth.  Microwave on high for 1 minute 43 seconds or until done in the middle.  Remove and let cool.  Slice horizontally in two pieces.

Cream Filling:  In small mixing bowl, add kefir cheese, or yogurt cheese, or cream cheese, coconut cream, liquid sucralose, and vanilla.  Beat with electric beater with wire whisk attachment until smooth and creamy.

Strawberry Topping: In medium bowl, mix together strawberries, glaze, and Truvia.

Place each shortcake half on a serving plate.  Top with half of the cream filling on each shortcake.  Top each with half the strawberry topping.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2 Servings/Per Serving: 238 Calories total calories for the whole thing, 7g Protein
1 g carb for the shortcake
3 g carb for the cream filling
4 g carb, for the strawberry topping



3 comments:

  1. OK what is Thai Kitchen coconut milk and can I sub something for it like almond milk if that is what I have? Or if not can I sub cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thai Kitchen is available in the Oriental foods section of your grocery store. I get it at Walmart. It's in a can and it has a cream that separates and goes to the top of the can, and the liquid usually is at the bottom. So I scoop out the cream portion and use that. It's thick and scoopable, so you could not substitute almond milk in place of it. You wouldn't get the same consistency. There are other brands of canned coconut milk as well, but not all of them have the same cream consistency. Some of them are all liquid. If you don't have any, you could just add some heavy cream to cream cheese and whip it together to a thick creamy consistency and use that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny, Thank you I will look for it and see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...