Monday, October 22, 2012

WHITE CHILI WITH TURKEY SAUSAGE


Funny how different the coloring turned out in my photos.  It's just a matter of lighting in my house. One was taken in my kitchen, and the other at my dining room table.  The top one is truer to the actual color.  The lighting in my house is terrible so I have to keep adjusting the lighting on my camera and play with it.

A very good friend gave me a recipe for white chicken chili that sounded so yummy but it wasn't low carb, so I used her recipe and went from there.  I had to make a substitute for condensed cream of chicken soup.  Her recipe used chicken and mine uses Jennie-O turkey sausage, but I want to make this with chicken next time.  My family loved this.  It made a huge bowl (7 cups), and with 4 of us, there were no leftovers!  My two sons gobbled it right up.  I may do some tweaks yet with it, but it was pretty good as is.  I may add a bit more spice next time?  Maybe add some nopalitos?  Maybe some hot sauce?  I dunno.  I loved it as is.

WHITE CHILI WITH TURKEY SAUSAGE

                   
2 pounds  Jennie-O turkey sausage (breakfast) -- browned and drained
16 ounces  Green taco Sauce, Ortega
16 ounces  Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips -- drained and chopped
1 cup  water
1 recipe  Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute -- *see recipe below

In 2 quart heavy saucepan, combine turkey sausage, green taco sauce, roasted red peppers, and water.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.

Add condensed cream of chicken soup, heat to boil, stirring constantly, add more almond milk or water as desired to bring to the consistency you want.

Options: In place of ground turkey sausage, cook 1 whole chicken, debone and cut into chunks.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Seven 1-cup servings/Per Serving: 474 Calories; 36g Fat (69.9% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;


CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP SUBSTITUTE                    

8 ounces  Philadelphia 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese -- (less calories, same amount of carbs as full fat)
1 tablespoon  Better Than Bouillon Chicken base OR other gluten free chicken   base
1 teaspoon  garlic powder
1 teaspoon  onion powder
2 cups  almond milk, unsweetened
1 tablespoon  arrowroot powder -- (or corn starch-2 g carbs per serving, optional, for thickness, or add more cream cheese if you prefer to get thickness desired)
1/4 cup  almond milk, unsweetened

In medium saucepan, combine cream cheese and chicken base.  Add garlic powder and onion powder.  Heat, stirring constantly, over medium high heat, until blended and cream cheese is melted.  Gradually add in almond milk, stirring with a wire whisk.  Continue heating and stirring until mixture comes to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Combine arrowroot powder OR cornstarch with 1/4 cup almond milk, and whisk into hot mixture.  Boil and stir for a minute more.  Remove from heat and let cool.

You can use this in recipes for a white sauce, for cream of chicken substitute, for cheese sauces (just add shredded cheese)


Yield:
  "2 1/4 cups"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

4.5-1/2 cup servings/Per Serving: 184 Calories; 14g Fat (75.3% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;






3 comments:

  1. Can I use guar gum to thicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can. Its just a matter of preference. I don t like the slimy feel of the gums or how they take away from the flavor of the dish. But if you don't mind them you can certainly use that instead

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...