Saturday, December 22, 2012

MOM'S WHITE CUTOUT COOKIES, LC, GF


Christmas just isn't Christmas without my Mom's white cutout cookies.  They were one of the first things I learned to bake together with my mom when I was a kid.  As much as I try to find something new for cookies each year, I just can't do it.  I have to have these.  It was really hard, I must say, giving them up when I began low carbing.  But then I found I didn't have to!!  First I remade them here, but they were not gluten free although very very good!  Tasted like the real thing.  If you are not dropping the wheat, these are great! But I do have to drop the wheat as I found I was allergic to it, or sensitive to it or something.  I can't have it!  And I find it takes me 3 days to get over a reaction once I get it.  So just not worth it!  So I decided today, after searching Christmas cookie ideas, that I came back to these and had to make them gluten free.  They turned out wonderful!!  Not exactly what Mom used to make but pretty close and pretty dern good.

I sprayed my parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkled lightly with cornstarch , topped with another piece of sprayed parchment paper and rolled out.

The trick to getting them off easily is a little cornstarch and to run the spatula all the way under the cutout before lifting off carefully 
Fresh out of the oven

I did sprinkle a little bit of real sugar sprinkles on top.  Oh come on! It's Christmas! ;) Ok, you don't have to but I did.

WHITE CUTOUT CHRISTMAS COOKIES, LC, GF                      

1/2  cup  sweeteners of your choice -- (I used 1/4 cup Swerve and 6 packets Truvia)
1/2  cup  Spectrum Organic Shortening, or butter
1  large  egg
1  teaspoon  baking powder
1  teaspoon  vanilla
1/2  teaspoon  salt
2 cups  almond flour
1 teaspoon  xanthan gum

In large mixing bowl, combine sweeteners, shortening, egg, baking powder, vanilla, and salt.  With electric mixer beat on low speed until smooth and creamy and light*.

In separate bowl, combine almond flour and xanthan gum.  Sift together and pour into creamed mixture.  Beat on low speed until well combined and easily forms into a ball. Chill several hours for an easier dough to work with or make cookies right away.  I made them right away. 

Place a piece of parchment paper on counter and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Sprinkle with small amount of cornstarch or resistant starch.  Place dough onto parchment paper, push down and shape into a square with hands. 

Cover with another piece of parchment paper, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and roll out to about 1/4-inch.  Cut shapes with cookie cutters*. Roll up remaining dough and roll out again until all dough is used up. Bake in preheated 350F oven about 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.  let cool completely on pan before removing or they will fall apart. 

*Helpful hint: You can also combine this all in a food processor.

*Helpful hint:  I dusted the top of the dough before cutting out cookies as well as spraying the cookie cutters with non-stick spray.  To remove I sprayed a 13-inch spatula with non-stick cooking spray and very carefully ran it under each cookie thoroughly before lifting it off the parchment paper.  

Frost with your favorite low carb frosting. Decorate as desired. 

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Based on 21 cookies/1 Cookie Per Serving: 108 Calories; 10g Fat (81.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber (Frosting not included)

Will vary according to how many cookies you cut out.  I got 21.  

12 comments:

  1. Wonder how these would work with coconut flour? I'd like to see more recipes with coconut flour, not only because it's cheaper, but also because I'm starting to get reactions from so much almond meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I just came up with this recipe yesterday and have not experimented. I have the opposite problem. Coconut flour seems to give me too much time in the bathroom. If someone wants to experiment and come up with a coconut flour one that would be great!

      Delete
  2. what do you frost them with Ginny? do you have a good recipe for buttercream frosting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw the frosting together without measuring. That's why I didn't share it. It was made with cream cheese, butter, maybe 1/4 cup each, my powdered sugar substitute, and vanilla. I just kept adding the powdered sugar sub until taste and consistency was right. It was probably around 1/2 cup.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this! I haven't wanted to forego ALL the Christmas festivities, and have been looking for a good cutout recipe for this, my first LC Christmas! As we are away for Christmas, I will bookmark this and try it when we get back. Maybe some Valentine's Day hearts with my kids are in order. :) Merry Christmas, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Heidi! Congratulations on your first year low carbing! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, these look wonderful, Ginny! I've been craving special Christmas cookies since I can't figure out how to low carb the fig cookies I used to enjoy. Thanks!

      Merry Christmas to you and your family, Ginny! And as always, keeping you and Ben close in my thoughts and heart.

      Love,
      Eva

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Eva! Thank you so much! Enjoy the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a batch of this dough today..and I was totally surprised at how 'real' it looks and feels! It was just a wee bit hard to get off the parchment for the shaped cookies (I don't have any non-stick spray), but if you use the dough for other types of cookies, it works very well - I divided the dough into 4 pieces. One piece I added a few currants and made those square. Another piece I rolled into balls, dented them with my thumb and filled the indentation with a wee bit of sugar free jam. Another chunk I rolled into a log and coated the outside with sliced almonds and then sliced the log. And the last chunk I did shaped cookies! I made 36 cookies all together. My Hubby thought it was WONDERFUL to have the variety....next batch I am thinking about adding a different 1/4 tsp of a different extract in each quarter..Thanks for the recipe! Definitely a keeper..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! I will have to try some of that next year! Yes, they are sticky if you don't have non-stick cooking spray to use, and a slight dusting of cornstarch helps tremendously. You don't need very much. I'm glad you and your hubby enjoyed them!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...