Sunday, November 17, 2013

HOMEMADE COLD CEREAL, SF, GF, LC

I don't really need cold cereal all that often.  Once in a great while though, I am in the mood for it.  I've been seeing some great ideas lately online, so I thought I'd put them together and come up with my own variation of cold cereal.

This fit the need for sure.  First I saw this recipe of "Frosted Flakes" and I happened to have just bought some coconut chips from my local health food store from a bulk bin.  Then I saw this recipe from Kent Altena about toasting coconut.  I sort of took a bit of each recipe, and put together my own tweaks.
PIN: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/774124909760602/

I also decided to add a few things to the mix to make it stretch farther so I'd have a nice bag of cereal for the week if I want it. So I took the almond thins recipe that is all over the internet, and made it with half flax and half almonds and added some sweetener and some cinnamon and some Capella graham flavor drops.  If you don't have them, and don't want to order them, not to worry.  You can make it without, but I just really like that graham cracker flavor.

So this filled about 3/4 full a gallon sized bag, as you see.  I also added some cashews, but when I saw the amount of calories and carbs I was racking up, I decided to leave them out of the recipe and next time I won't add them. You can if you choose.  I have to say this was really filling and kept me all morning so that even by lunch time I was not feeling particularly hungry.

The dried cranberries in the recipe are from this recipe.


HOMEMADE COLD CEREAL, SF, GF, LC         

COCONUT LAYER:
3 cups  coconut chips
1 tablespoon  coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon  EZ-sweetz Stevia and Monk Fruit -- (OR other liquid sweetener drops to equal 1/4 cup)
Cinnamon -- (I just sprinkled it over all, did not measure, perhaps a tsp.)
GRAHAM CRACKER LAYER:
1/2 cup  flaxseed meal, golden
1/2 cup  almond flour
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon  EZ-sweetz Stevia and Monk Fruit -- (OR other liquid sweetener drops to equal 1/4 cup)
16 drops  Capella Flavor Drops, graham cracker concentrate -- (optional, but if you have them, it gives it a graham cracker flavor)
1 packet  Truvia
           
1/2 cup  Dried Cranberries, whole, SF
1 cup nuts (optional--not included in nutritional info)

COCONUT LAYER: Preheat oven to 350F.  Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Spread coconut chips out on cookie sheet.  In small bowl, place coconut oil and EZ-sweetz Stevia and Monk Fruit, and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to melt.  Drizzle over coconut flakes and stir until oil is well mixed over all.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, and stir together again. Bake about 4 minutes.  Remove and stir.  Bake another 3 minutes, or until golden brown.  Be careful not to burn!  Spread on paper towel and let cool.

GRAHAM CRACKER LAYER: Preheat oven to 325F.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. In food processor, add flaxseed meal, almond flour, egg white, EZ-sweetz Stevia and Monk Fruit, and Capella Flavor Drops.  Process until it is mixed well and makes a stiff dough. Place onto parchment paper. Top with plastic wrap, and roll out very thin, especially in the center so that it is evenly rolled out.  Sprinkle with packet of Truvia.  Cut into small pieces with a pizza cutter.  Bake 10 minutes.  Remove any on the edges that are done, and put back in, baking 2 to 5 minutes at a time, checking to make sure it does not burn, removing those on the outside that are done, and putting back in until all are crisp and lightly browned.  Let cool.

Mix cooled coconut flakes and graham cracker pieces together.  Add dried cranberries.  Mix well.  Add chopped nuts if desired (optional).

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

About 7 -1/2 cup servings/Per Serving: 343 Calories; 32g Fat (77.8% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber

NOTES : 6g net carbs per serving



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...