Wednesday, September 7, 2016

CRANBERRY-CHEESE BREAD






Even though it does not feel like a Fall day, my mind is in "Fall mode" today, and I'm looking forward to cool crisp air once again, and thinking about Fall foods.  This was my last bag of cranberries from the last cranberry season, actually.  I had bought several and kept them in my freezer.  I decided I better find a way to use them today.  I was going to do a search for a good cranberry bread recipe online but decided to just see what I could do with converting a Betty Crocker recipe.  I still have my very old Betty Crocker cookbook, believe it or not! It was a wedding gift that I've treasured through the years and learned to cook with.  The cover is duct taped together and some of the pages are falling out, but I still refer to it often!  Many of the recipes are so easy to convert.


I love my silicone bread pan and that's what I used to bake this in.  I think it works best if you happen to have one.  Comes out nice and easy.  As I always do when I make a new recipe, I say a prayer that it turns out good.  I've had too many flops with bread or cake recipes.  And all those expensive ingredients go to waste!!  But I was very pleasantly surprised how well this turned out.  It is so good. I love the color and flavor the cheese adds to it.  I could not be more happy with this bread.  If you try it, I hope you will enjoy it.

P.S. My hubby (non-low-carber) just took a piece and said, "I like it.  It's good."  There ya go... you can't get a better review than that.
                   

Cranberry-Cheese Bread

Recipe By Ginny Larsen

Serving Size: 16  

FLOURS
1  cup  almond flour - Honeyville
1/2  cup  golden flaxseed meal
1/4  cup  oat fiber -- (*distinct from oat bran-see note below)
1/8  cup  coconut flour
  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                  
1/2  cup  Pyure Sweetener -- OR other granulated sweetener to equal 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  salt
2  tablespoons  Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening, non-hydrogenated -- (OR unsalted butter)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WET INGREDIENTS
3  large  eggs
1/4  cup  water
1 squeeze  MIO Orange Vanilla flavored water inhancer -- OR 1 tsp orange extract + 1/4 tsp Stevia extract (GV brand at Walmart) or other liquid concentrated sweetener to equal 1/4 cup sugar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                      
1 1/2  cups  Sharp Cheddar, Finely Shredded, Happy Farms -- 6 oz.
1 cup  cranberries -- halved
1 tablespoon  Pyure sweetener
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan (Silicone works best if you have it).

In mixing bowl, add almond flour, flaxmeal, oat fiber, and coconut flour.  Stir to combine.

Add Pyure Sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir together.

Add vegetable shortening and blend in with fingers or cut in with pastry blender until crumbly.

In small bowl add eggs, water, and orange flavoring.  whisk together.  Pour into dry ingredients.

Add cheese and cranberries and stir together until combined.  Dough will be stiff.  Sprinkle Pyure sweetener over the top before baking. Bake 60 to 70 minutes.  Mine took 70.  Let cool slightly and remove onto wire rack.  Let stand for several hours before cutting.

OPTIONAL:  Add chopped walnuts or pecans if desired, with the cranberries.
May add 2 tsps. grated orange peel if desired.

*NOTE: Most Oat fiber is not gluten free, however if you are gluten free I found a brand that is on Amazon. If you prefer not to use oat fiber, add 1/8 cup more of coconut flour instead.

Copyright:
  "© ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com - 9/7/2016"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 131 Calories; 11g Fat (63.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber

NOTES : 2g net carbs per slice of 16 slices

*Brands are just what I use, and the nutrition info is based on that.  If you use different brands, adjust accordingly.




2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...