Sunday, January 22, 2017

MOCK SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM


I used to love split pea soup with ham.  One of the things I truly miss on a cold day.  This soup uses green beans and cauliflower pureed and slow cooked with a ham bone and it sure hit the spot.  In my opinion, it is every bit as good as split pea soup.  The flavors blended together are wonderful.


It does the trick for me!  I hope it does for you, if you are a lover of split pea soup with ham.  It's been a long time since I've had actual split pea soup, but I think this tastes like the real thing that I remember.  I don't think my family knew that it wasn't until I told them.  

                      


Recipe By     :Ginny
Serving Size  : 6    
Categories    : Crock Pot, Stews and Soups

1 pound  frozen cauliflower
14 1/2  ounces  green beans, canned -- drained
32 ounces  chicken stock, Kitchen Basics, original
1 large  ham bone
1 teaspoon  onion powder
   pepper -- to taste
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon  thyme
1 cup  ham -- cut up from off the ham bone*

In steamer, or microwave, steam the cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain any water and place in food processor.  

Empty green beans into food processor with cauliflower and process until a smooth puree.

In crock-pot, add chicken stock, pureed vegetables, ham bone, onion powder, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme.  Mix together, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove bay leaves.

Remove ham bone, cut off all the ham you can and add the ham pieces back into the soup.  Stir together and serve.


Copyright:
  "1/4/2017, Ginny Larsen"
Yield:
  "6 cups"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving: 157 Calories; 8g Fat (43.3% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber

NOTES : This is salty as is with the ham so I found it did not need any additional salt.  If you want to add salt taste first!

*Estimated to get about 1 cup of ham from ham bone.  




4 comments:

  1. Hi, Ginny! Elaine4Hope here...couldn't get my profile to populate.

    I just LOVE this take on mock split pea soup! Something about adding those green beans makes it even smell like the real thing...

    Thanks a million for your continued creative contributions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! Thanks for commenting! I'm so glad you like it as much as we did. 😀

      Delete
  2. Just put it together and looking forward to the dinner later. Thanks for the ideas. PS I also added chopped onion and garlic, thinking about celery but cooked celery not a fav of mine. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Thanks for stopping in to tell me. :) I have been thinking about making this again lately myself.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...